Run entirely by women in industry, CodeChix is a nonprofit dedicated to retaining female engineers in tech. I volunteered to modernize their website before their annual convention.
Hi-fi responsive website mockups, InVision prototype, style guide
Now several years old, the current CodeChix site was outdated and information-dense. CodeChix wanted to revitalize their site to attract sponsors for their annual convention, DevPulseCon.
After connecting with Rupa, CodeChix’s founder, I volunteered for the job. Constraints included a maximum of four pages and a six-week timeline. The goal of the redesign was make the website more:
After some discussion and preliminary research, we identified the website’s three main audiences:
who are interested in membership.
Male engineers and PMs
who want to support but are unsure how to contribute.
who donate resources and fund events. They are happy to help, if they review a nonprofits track record.
I also surveyed some senior engineers about why they would help tech nonprofits or provide mentorship. The responses often mentioned the following:
Given the multitude of information on the current site, it was critical to start with content. First, I streamlined the IA. Removing redundant and outdated copy was simple, but determining what to prioritize was a challenge. After reviewing several sketches, we chose the IA in the flow below.
With our goals and constraints in mind, we decided the following:
We also repeated elements throughout that hooked sponsors and members, such as DevPulseCon and blog posts.
We preserved the green and black as a nod to CodeChix’s original brand. I switched to primarily having dark text on light backgrounds to increase legibility. Due to reducing the page count, each one hosted more content. I differentiated sections by background color to group relevant information.
A prototype of the desktop view is available on InVision. At the time of this case study, the redesign has yet to launch.
It was a great experience to work with such a passionate organization. Looking back, here is what I would do differently: