Everything in One Place

Android & iOS Product Design
Winter 2018 • 4 Weeks

Evry is a mobile app on a mission to streamline content consumption. At the time of this case study, Evry was in early development. We redesigned a critical flow to make organizing feeds more efficient and understandable.


My Contributions —

Research, design, prototyping


Team —

In-house team at seed stage start-up
With Grant Lin (Design Manager) & Chloe Ng (Product Designer)


NDA ⚠️

Some information has been changed or redacted.


Background

A Small App with A Grand Vision

On average, people spend nearly 70% of their media time on mobile. In an information-packed world, Evry wants to simplify media for people like our proto-persona, Sam.

Rather than being present in the moment, Sam constantly checks her phone. Hangouts, meals, and walks in nature are all interrupted by screen time.

At its core, Evry aggregates and groups content into similar feeds. Evry believes it can empower people like Sam to stop mindlessly browsing and have more time for what matters.

Before the time of this case study, I saw Evry evolve from its early stages. Now, after months of meetings and mocks, we had a preliminary build to alpha test.


Problem

Falling Short

Seeing the app with live data, we realized a major issue in our add-feed flow.

We expected users to know how to organize their content when setting up multifeeds. But users expected Evry to auto-magically do the organizing. As a result, the flow was clunky and inflexible.

    How might we optimize our add feed flow to be more organized for our users?

The old flow. Regardless of whether a user wanted to add premade feeds/multifeeds or create their own, they went through the same confirmation.

Solution

The Heart of the Issue

I brainstormed on how this flow can better match our proto-persona's expectations. Mainly, there were two overarching issues: the flow lacked context and was too slow.

Based off these problems, we planned to split the flow into two. One where users can add available feeds, and another where they can make their own multifeed.


The Redesign

After several iterations, our new design contained two major changes:

  1. Faster flows. Users now only go through a confirmation page if they create a new multifeed.
  2. Staying home. The add feed interaction now uses action sheets instead of navigating away. Now, the user sees how selecting feeds directly affects the home screen.
The updated flow. The user only goes through the confirmation flow when creating a custom multifeed.
Animation of the old flow. Note how this flow was optimized for adding multiple feeds, and is clunky for just adding one.
Animation of the new flow.

Though this redesign focused on structural changes, we also resolved some smaller issues.

Larger emphasis on logos.
Past user tests taught us that people looked for sources' logos to gauge credibility. We made these logos more scannable.

Pictures worth a thousand words.
Before, we had issues applying meaningful visuals to multifeeds. Users can now choose emojis for their multifeed, and we curate images for featured ones.


Sorting by platform.
Users can add public YouTube channels, Instagram accounts, and so on. We highlighted this feature to better differentiate ourselves from similar apps.


Results

We took our designs to the streets to see if people could understand this new flow. Here's what we found:

4/4 were able to add a feed on their own.

4/4 understood multifeeds based on their experience with the prototype, though only 2/4 were confident when answering.

2/4 specifically called out the source logos as eye-catching.


Retrospective

What I Learned

  • Any data is better than no data. We relied on guerrilla testing because we didn't have user data yet. Even though it has limitations, the test results gave us confidence in our decisions and next steps.
  • Get out of the weeds. We often focused on the details and didn't review the big picture. Getting fresh eyes to validate our ideas helped us set out priorities.

What I'd Do Differently

  • Test earlier & more often. Though the results we had were helpful, I could have sacrificed some fidelity to instead get more in-depth testing.
  • Know when to go broad or deep. We had many different directions for Evry's concept, and that reflected in the designs. I wish I prioritized one core idea and better communicated what a user should be doing at each step.
Next

Refreshing a Tech Nonprofit

Top →