Streamlining the Hiring Process

Marketing Website Redesign
Spring 2016

Residential Computing (ResComp) provides tech support for residence halls at the University of California, Berkeley. ResComp is primarily staffed by students, and recruits for new employees every spring.


Team —

Winston Kim: development
Kristen Lee: project management
My Role: UI/UX & visual design


Approach

After a year of cyclical projects, our marketing team tackled a new mission: our jobs pages.

In the past, we often received emails from confused applicants throughout our process. We suspected the site’s poor UX disoriented applicants and deterred other qualified candidates.

To identify pain points, I interviewed our staff about when they first applied. Three main issues came to light:

  1. Strange navigation. Excluding each job position, we had three main pages: the job listing, timeline, and “Life at ResComp” page. All job pages linked to each other, but most of our own staff only saw the listing.
  2. Unclear next steps. Many applicants didn't understand when they would hear back and training dates. This information was on our timeline, which they couldn’t find.
  3. Technical only. There was a misconception that all our jobs were technical or required a coding background. Training was actually provided on the job – a strong work ethic was enough to land most positions.
Research notes on other companies’s career pages and early mock-ups of job templates.

Given my findings, our main goals were to:

  1. Improve communication on job expectations.
  2. Make critical information transparent and accessible.
  3. Make applying more approachable to non-technical applicants.

Mock Ups

Job Description

Final mockup for the individual job descriptions, animated.
Icons I created before this redesign to illustrate each position’s team. Each icon links to a corresponding team's page to give applicants insight on the company's culture.

For each job, we wanted to highlight the job’s aspects before qualifications. Thus, the position’s team and roles come first, while other logistics hide in a slider. We intended to only have extra information on hand if the viewer was actually interested.

Job Listing

Final mockup for job listings, animated. Each team's image box leads the user to the corresponding team's jobs. Each job title leads to its corresponding job description page.

Our analytics showed that the job listings page drew the most traffic during hiring. With our old timeline page so hidden, I merged it with the listings to increase its visibility. A sticky nav on all job-related pages helped applicants find all hiring information.

To make information more digestible, I illustrated a timeline and steps for the hiring process.

Wide-width and responsive versions of our timeline, in our accent brand colors. The timeline demonstates two phases of hiring, and when applicants can except to hear back from us.
Our application process, illustrated in three steps.

Results

Site may vary from mockups, as rescomp.berkeley.edu is under constant updates.

After receiving updated copy from our staff, I designed the pages. Winston developed each mockup, then added some UI animations. Kristen led this project and provided all photographs.

Reflections

Though much of the project succeeded, we could have made these improvements:

  1. Designing mobile-first. Candidates would likely apply on a laptop, but they could've first seen our site on their phones. Our job description pages break on narrow viewports, impacting legibility on smaller devices.
  2. Better planning to integrate other job pages. We had another page excluded in this redesign, which was later made by Winston.
  3. Establishing better metrics for success from the start. Beyond page view analytics, we didn’t have data to reference.
Next

Full Dive into Content

Top →